I love flicking through Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries for inspiration. I especially love the seasonality of the book.
Being inspired by a recipe in there I made a slow cooked gammon ham with butter beans. For good measure I added some carrot, potato and celery. It is a really lovely wintery dish and the butter beans bulk it up and taste delicious.
What you need
- 1kg unsmoked gammon - rinsed
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 peeled and chopped carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 pint chicken or veg stock
- 1 large onion peeled and quarters
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 5 potatoes peeled and halved
- dried butter beans soaked over night
1. Boil the butter beans for 10mins with a pinch of bicarbonate soda
2. Heat the slow cooker and add all the veg. Add the herbs as well.
3. When butter beans are ready rinse and then add to slow cooker and mix
4. Put the gammon on top
5. Pour the stock over and ensure all the veg/beans are covered
6. Put the lid on and cook for 5 or more hours