I haven't made meatballs for ages, and I am not sure why. Maybe been too busy and using mince for the customary bolognese. Or maybe I have just forgotten about them for a while.
Here's a hybrid Nigel Slater / Tana Ramsey inspired one.
What you need
- A small packet of minced pork
- About 4 anchovies, chopped
- Handful of chopped parsley
- Breadcrumbs from 2 fresh slices (I only had wholemeal, but I think that white would be better)
- A small carton of chopped tomatoes
- A leek, chopped
- A pepper, diced
- Sherry vinegar or balsamic
- Desert spoon of honey
What do to
- Make the meatballs by combining the mince, breadcrumbs and parsley. Season with pepper and salt if you use them.
- Roll them into walnut sized balls and then put the plate back into the fridge for 20mins+
- When you are ready to cook them, heat olive oil in a frying pan and brown the lot of them
- To make the sauce, fry the leeks in the saucepan for about 6-8 mins.
- Then add the peppers and fry for about 4 mins
- Add the chopped tomatoes and give it a big mix and add the honey and dash of vinegar
- Cook for about 10 mins
- Then blitz the sauce until smooth (I have to ladle mine out as I don't have a stick blender)
- Return to the pan and add the meatballs
- Cook until the meatballs are heated through
- Serve with rice
This is a good one for freezing. I found that there was plenty of sauce left, I ate pretty much all the meatballs! Whoops.