It is that time of year again when all I want to eat is cheese and meat. Ideally together. And all melted. Well tonight was the night.
1/2 claimed unwellness this morning so had a super healthy lunch of steamed fish, plain pasta, green beans and sprouts (we love sprouts). For me smoked salmon and cream cheese rolls and vegetable crisps. Then tonight.... The lovely cauliflower, carrot and leek cheese topped with bacon. Oh and also macaroni cheese. Loads left over to take to work Monday. And the dash of nutmeg to the cheesiness really makes it taste extra special.
Cauliflower, carrot, leek and bacon covered in cheese recipe below..
What you need
- a cauliflower with the leaves removed and cut into reasonable bits
- 2/3 carrots peeled and cut into 1inch-ish pieces
- a leek finely sliced
- few slices of bacon
- 40g plain flour
- 40g butter (real deal, might as well attack the ticker)
- 400ml milk
- 200g cheese grated (I used emental and strong cheddar mix because that's what I have)
- a shake of nutmeg
- 2 TSP mustard - I used Dijon as I had no English.
What to do
1. Steam the carrot for 3 mins
2. Add the cauliflower and steam for about 5 more mins
3. Put the leeks into the bottom of you deep/semi-deep pan (I use lasagne type dish)
4. Make the same by putting the butter and flour into a pan and cooking down into a paste
5. Add the milk gradually and mix and wisk gently until it becomes a sauce
6. When thick and saucy and no lumps and is boiling turn off
7. Add the mustard and nutmeg and give a good mix up
8. Put the steamed veg on top of the leeks
9. Pour over the sauce and put into a hot oven (190°c) for 15mins
10. After 15mins take out the oven and place the uncooked bacon slices on top
11. Return to oven for 10-15mins